M.A., University of Alberta, 1977
B.Ed. University of Victoria, 1972
B.A., University of Alberta, 1965
– Archivist, the Provincial Archives of British Columbia, 1973-1981
– Adjunct Professor, History Department, Simon Fraser University, 1979 and 1980
– Appointed Assistant Professor in the then School of Librarianship at the University of British Columbia to chair and teach in the newly established Master of Archival Studies (MAS) Program. Chaired the MAS Program for 10 years, and taught in it until 2007.
-Appointed Acting Director of the School of Library, Archival, and Information Studies three times, the last of which was in 2008-09.
– Was instrumental in launching and then in the development of the Canadian rules for Archival Description (RAD).
-Served in several capacities for the Association of Canadian Archivists, including President, 1979, editor of its journal, Archivaria, 1981-82. Is an honorary member of the Association
-Served a three-term on the Council of the Society of American Archivists.
– Wrote widely on many subjects in archival science during his career, and spoke at conferences on five continents.