This award has been endowed by family and friends in honour of Anne and George Piternick.
Professors Anne and George Piternick taught at the School for a combined total of 48 years during which they provided, through their teaching and personal research projects, a stimulating scholarly atmosphere for library and information science research. The award will be given annually to an iSchool doctoral student to support their research.
Guidelines and procedures
- Students must address their application to the Chair of Doctoral Studies (Dr. Eric M. Meyers); completed applications should be submitted to the iSchool Program Assistant (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Faculty members of the Doctoral Studies Committee will adjudicate the applications.
- The application for the award should include a cover letter
- The application must include:
- Title of the research project.
- A research proposal outlining the objectives of the project and methodology (maximum of 1 page).
- Budget, with a detailed rationale for expenses.
- Timeline, with respect to the student’s program, and when the requested funds will be spent.
- It is anticipated that the award will cover such research expenses as (but not limited to) consulting resources or experts in the research area, participating in a doctoral consortium, interviewing research subjects, disseminating research instruments, programming expenses or software for data analysis, and presenting research results in a poster or paper. Please note that UBC has cancelled all student international travel for university purposes; this is in effect until Dec. 31, 2020, but could be extended depending on health advisory notices. Therefore, any travel-related requests should reflect UBC travel policies and include a COVID-19/public health justification.
- The Committee reserves the right to split the award into multiple awards or not to give the award in an individual year.
- Recipients of the award must present to the Doctoral Studies Committee a short follow-up report, detailing how the funds were spent (no receipts needed) and the benefits realized within a year of receipt of the award; this should be emailed to the iSchool Admin Manager (email@example.com).