MAS and Dual Students: completion of the MAS core courses
MLIS students should take LIBR 587
GOAL: To give you an understanding of the requirements and methods for preserving archival material
- To prepare to make both planning and policy decisions regarding the preservation of collections.
- To understand the structure and deterioration of common materials, and the current methods for extending their longevity.
- To become familiar with information resources on preservation.
- To gain familiarity with some basic environmental instrumentation and preservation techniques.
- Historical overview of preservation.
- Conservation ethics.
- Composition and degradation of common archival and library collections from a materials science perspective.
- Integrated pest management.
- Preservation microforms.
- Strategies for environmental control.
- Photograph identification.
- Machine-readable media.
- Emergency preparedness.
On this page