MLIS and Dual MAS/MLIS students: Completion of MLIS Core or permission of SLAIS Graduate Advisor
MAS students: completion of MAS core or permission of the SLAIS Graduate Advisor
GOAL: The course is designed to introduce students to the fundamental concepts, terminology, techniques and algorithms used for creating and managing digital collections of images and text. The student will acquire knowledge and skills necessary to design and create digital image and/or text collections, from the selection of materials and planning the project through design, implementation, maintenance and evaluation.
Upon completion of this course students will be able to:
- Solve issues related to selection of analogue material for digitization and creation of a digital collection [1.1, 1.2, 1.4, 5.1]
- Solve issues related to digital access to image and text collections [1.3, 1.4, 2.1]
- Use digitization hardware & software systems for the production of digital image and text collections [1.3, 2.2, 3.1]
- Plan a digitization project to create a digital image and/or text collection [1.2, 1.4, 3.2]
- Create digital image and/or text collections in local/intranet as well as in web environments [1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 3.1, 5.3]
- Propose recommendations for the design, management, and evaluation of cultural heritage-related digitization projects [1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 3.2, 5.3]
* Course objectives are stated in terms of student learning outcomes and reference the iSchool Statement on Graduate Competencies.
- Images and Text: Characteristics and Formats
- Planning and Managing Digitization Projects
- The Digitization Process
- Metadata for Digital Objects
- Content Based Retrieval
- Digital Collections and Database Design
- Software to create and publish digital text and image collections
- User Interface Issues
- Intellectual Property Rights and other issues in Digital Asset Management
SAMPLES OF STUDENT PROJECTS – Click here to see more student projects!