MAS and Dual students take this as part of the MAS Core.
Core courses in the MAS program can only be taken by students registered in the MAS program.
GOAL: To give you an understanding of the nature of archival documents.
- To provide an understanding of the characteristics of archival material and mastery of the fundamental archival terminology.
- To develop the intellectual framework for the systematic identification and critical evaluation of archival material.
- To enable you to analyze documents on the basis of their form, formation, and consequences.
- To develop an appreciation of the nature, function, use, and value of documentary evidence of actions and transactions.
- The concepts of data, information, document, and archival document.
- The concepts of authenticity and genuineness; the status, methods, and forms of transmission of archival documents.
- The juridical system, the concepts of fact and act, and the function of archival documents in relation to them.
- The persons concurring in the formation of archival documents and the effects they have on their nature.
- The formation of archival documents and the characteristics they derive from it.
- The extrinsic and intrinsic elements of archival documents.